Friday, June 20, 2014

Favorite family photos of our first year in Scotland

Below are my favorite family photos that I've taken in our first year in Scotland.

More accurately put, all of these photos are of Kate and Jackson. They are my constant subjects. Generally, if I'm taking a picture of a person, it's of my wife or kid. Occasionally, I take a few photos of my extended family. I rarely take photos of other people.

I've struggled to limit myself here to only a handful of photos. It's hard to do. Painful. Over the past year I have taken more than 10,000 photos, primarily on an old Nikon DSLR, though my camera phone gets some use, too. The vast majority of my photos are from our travels and explorations around Scotland, the rest of the U.K., and a few spots in continental Europe.

Some of these photos are posed, others are candid. I didn't pick them as favorites because Kate and/or Jackson look cute, though there's some cuteness here. Rather, they are my favorites because I think they're striking, in some combination of composition, texture, color, or mood.

Half of the photos below haven't even been shown on a previous blog post, because I am so . . . ummm . . . s  l  o  w regarding writing about our travels. Anyway, here they are, with no particular ranking:


At Loch Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye.
On a ridge in Avebury, England.
Gardens of Brodick Castle on the Isle of Arran.
On the beach in St. Andrews. A version of this photo currently heads the top of this blog.
On the grounds of the Bishop's Palace in Wells, England.
Inside the Musée d'Orsay in Paris, France.
Ice cream in Barcelona. Kate took this selfie, which is my favorite family photo ever.
Scalpsie Bay on the Isle of Bute.

An earlier post has a bunch of photos which didn't make the cut for this post. It's got some good ones. But not, in my opinion, quite as worthy.

What do you think? Should I have included any of the photos from that earlier post here? Or are any of these photos not up to snuff? I'm curious about whether your opinion matches mine.



Want to see more? Here are the favorites from our first year in Scotland:


 http://www.coloringwithoutborders.com/2014/07/favorite-photos-of-places-we-visited.html


Favorite photos of places we visited our first year




 http://www.coloringwithoutborders.com/2014/07/nearly-favorite-photos-of-places-we.html

(Nearly) favorite photos of places we visited our first year



 http://www.coloringwithoutborders.com/2014/06/nearly-favorite-family-photos-of-our.html


(Nearly) favorite family photos of our first year in Scotland






4 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmmm.....pondering. Still love the Bath bath. Prejudice allowed! I believe you are no longer "just" a musician/attorney, you must add "photographer". And journalist! Well done, Brian!

    ReplyDelete